Tuesday, October 29, 2013

When Spooky Stuff Creeps into Your Writing

Anyone that knows me, probably also knows that I don't write

Horror

But that I do write

Mystery

And for those who have read Scrambled, they have quickly discovered that even then the gory scenes really aren't all that gory. In fact, you may just find yourself being a detective without having to deal
with all of the gory details.


Picture by pugg71, courtesy of Flickr

Still, there are times when spooky stuff sort of creeps into my writing (other than when I'm writing a mystery). And at these times I look closely at what I've just penned because the last thing I want to do is to bring the 'wrong sort' into the room, if you know what I mean.

Suffice it to say, there needs to be tension, a bad guy or girl, or some sort of opposition. Nothing, and I mean nothing, not even a Christian fiction book can be all smiles and a perfect life.

There's no such thing.

But having said that, I think it's important to look at your writing and feel what you've written. If you like the creepy stuff, fine, but if you want your readers to go away feeling as if they still know you, (because you've written other books with a similar feel) double check what you've written before you send it off to be published.

I can usually handle scary scenes

1. If they are coupled with humor, as in A River of Stones and the vampire and Doberman scenes.
2. If they aren't too dark or too detailed. My readers can know there's a dead man, but they don't need to know the specific details of the dead man's body.
3. If the 'spooky' stuff really isn't 'spooky' but sort of eerie thoughtful. In Scrambled, the main character thinks she's hearing the voice of a spirit, though she's not sure if it's the voice of the dead man or just her own mind. 

When spooky stuff creeps into your writing, just take a second look. That's all I'm asking.

Photo by Ben Spark, courtesy of Flickr
You never know who will be trying to slide through your office door.

Happy Halloween!

Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.