Monday, October 28, 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Marilyn Stewart Osborne

Imagine living in the outback of Australia. Using scraps of paper to record your thoughts. And selling at craft fairs. Marilyn does all of this and more. Discover for yourself!

Tell me about yourself.
 
I left the USA when I was two and returned at 17. In between those years I lived in the outback of Australia amongst a primitive tribe. Their language and culture I thought was mine. Next I lived in boarding school in Canada. I was saving to go back to Australia when I met my husband. 
We live in Arizona. I like to travel, make crafts, write and enjoy nature.
 

What got you started in writing?

I guess, for me it was the season ... I had only written a few poems for friends at work and family.
I was no longer caring for elderly parents and had time to do something for me.

How and where do you write?

I have scraps of paper all over the place with jotted thoughts. I like to write at a table and prefer our large kitchen table to spread everything out.

Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?

For my three books I have always begun with paper and pencil. My latest endeavor, my first novel, has been written 85% on the laptop. 

What's your favorite part about writing?

The excitement of something new - an adventure and how it will unfold.

Your least favorite part about writing?

Making sure the grammer is correct. 

How do you come up with your characters?

Writing fiction is a new experience. I have been surprised how in the middle of the night I wake up and have to rename a character.

Why would readers want to get to know them?

They are emotional, challenged, funny, stoic, conflicted. Their lives reflect bits of all of us.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I enter craft shows where I can also sell my books and hand out a fan fold flyer. I speak wherever invited - senior centers; churches; libraries; women's retreats.

Aboriginal artifacts, my books, & Aussie food go over well on Australia Day at a nearby Arboretum.
 

How do you schedule your writing time?

After all my other things - house, yard, dr. visits, exercise, volunteer, playing with our dogs. :)

When do you write?

Any time. Early or late. Sometimes for hours and others a few minutes here and there.

What are you currently working on?

This is my first attempt at fiction and am really enjoying seeing the characters develop. I had bits of two novels and have merged them into one. So far a little over 30,000 words.

Do you have a new book out?

Sorry - No.

Do you have a project on the back burner?

Yes.

Tell me about it.

My two back burner projects are:

A Bible Study with Welcome as its theme.

Stories about animals and what they have taught me.

I have about 12 finished so far and several have pictures of the event.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

I have struggled with self-confidence and being good enough. Write, write, rewrite and enjoy yourself.

Do not permit yourself or others to demean you. Listen to what people say, but do not believe everything. Neither all the praise or all the criticism. Grow a thick skin. Stay true to yourself. Be uniquely you.

 ***

Thanks, Marilyn! Learn more about Marilyn here:
 
www.childoftheoutback.com

Footprints & Fragrance in the Outback
Child of The Outback       

Created to Celebrate  - not online

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.