Monday, May 12, 2014

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Patrick Bucksot

Why should readers buy Patrick's book? How important is revelation in Patrick's life?

Discover these answers and more in today's author interview!

***

Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I started writing after several years of prompting from the Lord.  He finally sent someone to tell me to stop waiting.  I did not know this person.  I figured that it was time to start.  So I started a church newsletter and finally had an avenue to develop the call.



How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand? 

I write whenever time is convenient right now.  I still work a full time job and don’t have the opportunity to spend a lot of time writing. I do write every day during my 30 minute lunch break. I lug a lap top to work every day. I will also say this; there are some days that the inspiration just isn’t there, so I don’t write.  I believe that it is more dangerous to write without inspiration than to not write at all. I also write on a desk top computer at home. Again, at this point in my writing career, it’s more about making time to write than spending the day writing.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

I love everything about writing; the process, the writer’s block, the inspiration and the testimony from readers.  Everything works together to tell others about Jesus and that is the most important thing.

I guess the least favorite part is not having the time to do more writing.  Right now, I have about 17 or 18 book titles in my head and wish that I had the time to write on at least three or four of them at a time. Hopefully that day will come soon.

How do you come up with your characters? Why would readers want to get to know them?

I don’t have characters in my writing but I do have subjects of discussion. Most of the time, when I have a particular topic that I want to write about, I just pray about the each part of that topic that is relevant to me and my potential readers.  I pray for revelation because revelation reveals more of who God is. The more we know about the Lord, the greater victory we will have in our lives.

As an example, my book about the weapons of our warfare is essentially about spiritual warfare. However, the Lord did not lead me down the typical path of discussion.  He gave me revelation about specific things that He has given to us that will, if used correctly, bring us victory in Him.  These topics will also draw us closer to the Lord, as well, because they transform us into the image of His Son.  That is what we are called to do on a daily basis.

Readers should not get my book because I wrote it. They should get it if they want to get deeper into God’s Word.  They should get it if they desire a more intimate walk with the Lord. They should get it if they are tired of being discouraged or beat down by the world.


What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I have set up a web page: www.patrickbucksot.com and I promote through other means, such as Facebook, LinkedIn/groups, Faith Writers etc.  I am also reaching out to other pastors and trying to make connections with them.  More than anything, I am trying to build a greater circle of friends first, but also to do everything that I can to bless and encourage them in their calling.

As I stated earlier, I manage a church newsletter that has a growing list of readers. I have also created a study guide for the book. It is free on my website as a pdf download. Go to this link: http://www.patrickbucksot.com/bible-study.html

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

I am currently working on several things right now. I have picked up a Christian literary agent, and he has provided a lot of insights on how to make my second manuscript more powerful. I have a third manuscript in the wings, and when time allows, I will incorporate my agent insights to it as well. I am always writing for the church newsletter too.

Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I am working on the second of a three part series called “Kingdom Understanding – Kingdom Purpose – Kingdom Mindset”. I have already written, but not sent for publication, Kingdom Understanding.  This is what I hope to be my third book.  The second of this series, kingdom Purpose, is well underway.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

Writing isn't for the faint of heart. It takes a lot of time to put down your thoughts, ideas and stories, but there may be little or no feedback. Be willing to take criticism. This is something that I have had to learn and found it to be quite liberating, because it isn’t necessarily meant to tear you down but to help you grow. You will know who you can trust to bring criticism that also encourages.

Believe in yourself. If you believe that writing is a calling in your life, believe that you can do this. Also, find help. Search out someone who can proofread your work. My wife has been my proofreader, but she has a lot of great ideas that helps me write more clearly. If you can find a person like this, your writing confidence will grow.

When publishing, do your research but also inquire with agents

***

Thank you, Patrick!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.