Friday, May 9, 2014

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Celeste Goodwin

Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I am a photographer by profession, but found myself journaling every little detail when my little boy first got sick in 2007.  I wasn't quite sure just why I was doing it, other than knowing that I was tired and wanted to remember details of medications, procedures, doctors names, etc.  Writing it all down was the best way to keep track of it.  As Matthew's illness progressed and I spent more time at the hospital, I continued to write down more than just the medical details.  I began to chronicle the daily emotional side of all that was happening to us as a family.


How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?

Writing is something that always came easiest when I am in the quietest of moments.  Usually after everyone is asleep and I have time with my thoughts and laptop.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

Writing became a therapeutic release for me when dealing with my little boy's illness.  It was a way to journal events and the seemingly not so important things that one day I thought we may want to remember. Writing about something you lived is much easier to me than trying to conceive a story from beginning to end.  I have so much respect for writers of fiction.

How do you come up with your characters? Why would readers want to get to know them? (I realize this is not applicable to you, but perhaps you could express some of your feelings about writing a book that is so close to your heart personally).
When someone reads A Boy Back from Heaven they are left with a feeling of truly knowing our family.  It is as though they lived those dark hours with us.  Matthew is such a likable kid that pulls people close to him with his personality.  A Boy Back from Heaven is unlike any other book people have read on the subject.  It dives deeper into the emotion and how important faith and prayer was to us during a difficult time.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

Social media is a great driving force to promote books. Facebook and Twitter have been huge in getting our book into the hands of many that may otherwise have never known about it.  Book signings and public events/appearances is proving to be very successful as well.

How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?
During the time I worked on A Boy Back from Heaven, most of the writing was done in the evenings.  Often times with collaboration from Matthew after school.  

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

A Boy Back from Heaven just released March 11th and much of my time has been spent promoting and sharing this work. 

Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I have given thought to writing a more personal, inspirational work on getting through difficult times.  I like to challenge myself and seem to be more productive when I set lofty goals. When faced with trials you have two choices...to fight or give up. I chose to fight for Matthew.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?


I think being patient and waiting for the right match of publisher to author is important.  Don't give up on your dream of sharing your message or story.  There is purpose in all of it. 

***
Thank you, Celeste!

Learn more about Celeste:
http://www.celestegoodwin.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.