Monday, May 19, 2014

Walking Around With Dirt Under Your Fingernails?



I don't know about you, but the thought of dirt on my hands sort of intrigues me; takes me back to the olden days when I made tunnels and roads in the dirt and drove matchbox cars through my newly formed village.

But such, sadly, is not the case when it comes to dirt under my fingernails.

The stuff is much harder to wash off, and takes a real beating on my newly polished nails.

Still, whenever I garden I neglect to put on the gloves, because I totally love the feel of the cool, moist soil on my fingertips. Yes, even though this same soil dries my hands like sandpaper and I'm for days loading on the lotion.

So why do I bring this up?

When it comes to writing, there are things we can live with (less writing time than we'd like, noisy children in the background, no real office to write in) and things, quite frankly, that we can't. And this is good.

Consider dirt under your fingernails as all of those things that you hate to do that must be done. Things like editing, re-writing and formatting. You may consider these tasks grueling, though you know you need to get them done.

Who wants to be forever walking around with dirt under their fingernails?

1 comment:

  1. interesting post as I just planted some zucchini seeds today-6 of them-now to water and care for them so I can derive the nutritious results to share with others-not unlike writing...lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.