Tuesday, June 5, 2012

So you want to start a blog

I talk to many writers and non-writers who want to start a blog. Problem is, they have no idea what to write! This may sound funny, especially coming from a writer, but I think the concern stems from feeling as if they're not yet an expert on anything.

Photo by Bright Meadow, courtesy of Flickr
What I know is that even a budding writer has gifts and talents that they can share. Consider that you focus your blog on how you're learning to become a writer and what you're doing to make it happen. Sift through your old journals and share what you have learned about life, give some time to sharing a favorite talent other than writing. Perhaps it's underwater basket weaving.

Or perhaps not.

But you get my meaning, I think.

I have never had a book publishing company before but I am learning the ropes as I go. Sure, some of it I had to discover beforehand to keep me square, but much of my learning has come through doing it.

And your blog can be a lot like that. Here are a few things I've learned through trial and error:

  • Keep your post to about 500 words.
  • Try to include at least one photo to your article, and always give credit where credit it due.
  • Focus your blog on a particular subject. It's alright to go off the path occasionally, but your readers (and you will get them) expect a certain topic from you.
  • Use bullet points as often as you can to break up the text and make for an easier read.
  • Respond to comments you receive ASAP.
  • Try to post at least twice a week, more if you can. 
Another thing I try to do occasionally, is to read posts by others as well as write posts for other websites. This does two things: Gives me more ideas for my own blog and allows me to share my words with others who may not yet have discovered my blog.

And we all want new readers, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.