Monday, January 6, 2014

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Ellis Chase


Searching for a career?
 
You'll not want to miss this interview, or Chase's new book!
 
Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?
 
I’d been writing professional articles for years for various publications, but I have to admit now that I always found it painful. All that editing made me nuts.  I’m not the most patient person. My wife and a very close friend, a writer, encouraged/nagged me to put it all together in a book, because they both liked the style, and thought the content would help people in career transition. Many false starts later, I finally completed a draft last summer. 

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?


I use my laptop. As I mentioned earlier, I’m an impatient guy, and the thought of longhand would probably make me give up after one page or so. 

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing? 

I like the idea of organizing my thoughts, making complex ideas palatable, and visualizing how it will all come together. I like the first edit; beyond that, it’s agony. I get intensely bored with my own material and can’t read it as much as is necessary. I was extremely fortunate to have some excellent editors around me.  Otherwise, I can’t imagine how I would have finished the thing. 
 
What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing? 

I’ve learned a great deal from my publisher and some more from clients in the publishing industry about how to approach the marketing. I’ve actually learned not to hate Twitter, which was quite a feat, and continue to admire and utilize LinkedIn and many LinkedIn groups. Blogging has turned out to be my favorite type of writing, because it’s fast and this material doesn’t require extensive editing. I have one major obstacle to overcome –an inherent distaste and mistrust of Facebook. I’m also planning to do some broadcast media, which is comfortable and easy for me. 

How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write? 

I like to write first thing in the morning, highly caffeinated. My best ideas and my sharpest thinking occur at that time. 

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?  

No new book in the works yet, but I’m thinking about several concepts.
 

Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it. 

I’m planning to expand my public speaking engagements. I’ve always loved teaching and speaking more than anything, and will begin this push in the fall. 

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent? 

I’d advise the young writer to do the same thing I tell all my clients, which is to develop a trusted network of experts and professionals in the field and get some feedback on the validity of the idea. If there are enough trusted advisors who are encouraging, move forward. If  
there aren’t, figure out a way (classes? writing programs?) to get better. 
  

***
Thank you, Ellis!

To learn more about Ellis...

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0988877929/

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/345206

Website:   http://www.ellischase.com

Website: http://www.isothefunforeverjob.com/

Blog/Ask Ellis: http://www.isothefunforeverjob.com/ask-ellis.html

Twitter: @ellischase2
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.