Monday, September 29, 2014

ASPIRING AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Brenda D. Priddy from Daily Mayo

How long have you been writing? Why did you decide to write?

I've written all my life. One of my first completed stories I wrote when I was 7 years old. It was about a family of pegusi who went on a flying adventure together. It was thrown away long ago. That makes me sad.

I love writing because I get to share my experiences and feelings with others. Plus, creating new worlds is fun!

What makes you keeping going?

Well, as a professional writer/journalist, sometimes it’s the money. Other times, it’s the thrill of creating something that I think other people will enjoy.

What does your writing day look like? What do you do to study the craft?

My day consists of about three parts. In the morning, I do blogging for my book blog Daily Mayo. In the afternoon, I write my projects for any clients I am working for. I work with websites and companies to create online marketing materials and company blog posts. At night, it is time for me to work on my personal book projects.

I study writing by reading amazing books, following the blogs of writers I admire, and reading writing books and blog posts.

Do you have a goal when you'd like to be published? What is it? If you don't have a goal, why haven't you set one?

I would love to be published by the summer of next year, if possible. But I’m going to have to work really hard to reach that goal!

Are you thinking to go the self-published or traditional route?

I think I want to be published traditionally first, then once I have an established reputation as an author, then I can move into the self-published field easier.

Tell us about the genre(s) you write and why you like them.

I have two stories in the works right now- one is a middle grade/early YA story about children who work with the CIA to catch communists after WWII. My second series is an adult/upper YA fantasy story filled with magic and adventure.

I love writing children’s’ stories because I feel it is easier to capture imagination during childhood than it is once you’re an adult. Adult life is filled with mundane events, stress, and a whole lot of complicated relationships. Children’s stories can include adventure and a carefree attitude without feeling flippant and unrealistic.

Why is the Tiffany Aching Series your favorite? What have you learned from it to help you to be a better writer?

I love the Tiffany Aching Series because it is an amazing mix of beautiful, yet simple writing that appeals to readers of all ages. Tiffany is a kid, but she is self-assured and a complete master of her environment. Like Terry Pratchett, I hope the books I write will appeal to people of all ages and backgrounds.

What would you tell a writer like yourself, struggling to get published?

Stop making excuses and write! I allow myself way too many excuses, which is why I have yet to be published today. I firmly believe that people who buckle down and go after it are the ones who succeed.

***

Thank you, Brenda!

Learn more about Brenda here:

--Brenda D. Priddy Writer, Blogger, Editor
brenda@dailymayo.com | www.dailymayo.com








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.