Wednesday, November 9, 2016

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Tarian Prescott from First Born

      Tell me a little about yourself (where you live, who you are, what you look like, what you hope to achieve, etc.)

Currently, I’m living in the Government District in an apartment the Guardians of Dare have provided for Gabe and me during this mission.  Audrey and Maria are across the hall.  Audrey is my mentor for lack of a better word.  She is the immortal sent to protect and guide me into my new life.  She’s a far superior soldier than I am, but don’t tell her I said that.  Gabe and Maria are also EMA cadets and my best friends. 


For nineteen years, I was as normal as any other teenage guy, a little too short and thin, and far less cool and smart than my older brother.  I always assumed I’d be an attorney like my father until he died and I ended up at the Entente Military Academy (EMA).  Today, I’m the First Born – a nickname I hate by the way.  I’m the first immortal to be born in over five hundred years.  I’m happy to say I’ve gained height and mass but my big brother is still much more charismatic than I am.  I’m on this mission to catch my dad’s murderer and I will succeed.  Some Guardians believe I’m the link to their survival as prophesized so many years ago.  All I know is I want to find out who created the Death Serum and used it to kill my father.    

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I currently don’t have any spare time but I used to play tennis, go to the ocean, read and hang out with my girlfriend Delia.

    What is your favorite color and why?

I’m a guy so I don’t really think about these things but I guess I’d say blue.  I have a lot of blue shirts and my girlfriend likes them on me.  Her eyes are a dark blue and against her mocha skin they look incredible.

    What is your favorite food? Why is it your favorite?

My mom is an excellent cook but Chef Richard’s turkey sandwich at Headquarters is out of this world.  It’s Thanksgiving dinner in one bite.  Of course, he’s a purple person so that’s why.  You probably don’t know what a purple person is so I’ll tell you.  The Guardians that dress in purple have special magical abilities on top of their immortality.  These gifts are the result of witch’s blood.  An immortal without a magic bloodline has no powers.

    What would you say is your biggest quirk?

Orange soda – I love orange soda. 

    What is it about your antagonist that irks you the most, and why? Share a line in the book where this irk is manifested.

"The Senator gave Tarian one of his sanctimonious downward glances that Tarian had received several times during his yearlong stay at his estate after his father’s death.  Only now, Tarian surpassed him in height, and his tone did not have quite the same effect.  However, Tarian still felt like a boy that owed him a great deal.” 

These few sentences sum up how I feel about Senator Eastwood.  I know I should be grateful, and I do appreciate all he has done for me and my family, but I’m still angry that he kept all these secrets from me after my dad died.  He knew what I was and he should have told me the truth the day I moved into his house and began training for the EMA.  It would have made sense and I would have realized why I wasn’t going to Harvard like my older brother, why I wasn’t going to be an attorney like I had planned.  He could have saved me a lot of angst but I kissed his daughter. (Smirk, wink)

    What or who means the most to you in your life? What, if anything, would you do to keep him/her/it in your life? 

Delia and my family and I would do anything for them.  I am doing everything for them right now.  I’ve trained... at both the EMA and inside the realm at Headquarters; I’ve endured Audrey’s annoying rants and impossible drills; and now I’m on mission inside the Government District to draw out the assassin.  I’m the one he wants, I possess the DNA he needs and I’m going to be the one to bring him down.

    What one thing would you like readers to know about you that may not be spelled out in the book in which you inhabit?

I wasn’t the best soldier.  I’d rather not be reminded of my many blunders during my first year.  But in my defense, Ian was contracted to kill me.  I hate to admit it but I wouldn’t have made it through without Audrey, then and now.

    If you could tell your writer (creator) anything about yourself that might turn the direction of the plot, what would it be?

When the bus slid out of control and plunged underwater, I knew I’d survive.  I wasn’t scared.  A strange sense of awareness that you don’t have at nine, I had.  And I don’t think it was an accident.  The malfunction of the bus’s hover capability seems too coincidental to me.  And I remember as a kid, being only nine but I remember thinking something bad was going to happen. 

***
 A question for me: 

    Why do you favor the antagonists?  I mean that’s the bad guy or girl.  They cause trouble and pain and yet you writers seem to relish it.  You writers give them more advantages.  Me, the protagonist, bust my butt while the antagonist is always one step ahead. 

The antagonists have one question, you and your writer have all of the rest. Still, in every story, there must be good and evil, both sides of the fence so to speak. This opposition not only makes the story interesting, it makes it real, just ask your writer. You will be glad you had to "bust (your) butt" because in the end, and this is my promise, you will be a better character.

***

Learn more about:

Tarian Prescott from First Born

Author page on BookRhythm: http://bookrhythm.com/janelle-gabay/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.