Wednesday, November 2, 2016

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Katheryn Haddad

Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing? 

I began writing at age 10 in 1950 when I wrote a poem about Abraham and my 5th-grade teacher had it published in our local newspaper.


How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?  

When I had children home, I wrote when they were in school.  That was a long time ago. They are grown and gone and I am a widow. So I get up around 6:00 every day and immmediately begin writing. I write about twelve hours a day.

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or some other method of getting your words down?  

I have a laptop and write either in my livingroom or on my patio (I live in Arizona).

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing? 

I write both fiction and non-fiction. I think my favorite part is the research. My least favorite is that my fingers cannot keep up with my thoughts. Plus as soon as I'm done writing a book, I'm ready to write the next one.  Marketing is my least favorite, but it needs to be done.

How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it take you to write your book? 



"Inside the Hearts of Bible Women" grew out of an article I wrote for a Christian woman magazine. Everyone liked the article about one of the Bible women, so I decided to write a whole book about them. I wrote about women in the Bible who faced problems and how they tried to work them out. Among these women are those who we usually don't talk about – Tamar who was raped, the witch of Endor who practiced the occult, etc.  It was written in narrative form with little end notes throughout for discussion questions regarding that part of the reading. I also include a good work for reaching out to women with these problems.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?  

I write an inspirational message every day and send it to facebook groups around the world, plus my own mailing list plus my author website. With each daily message, I attach the cover of one of my books – whichever one illustrates the message most closely. I am on Amazon and include an extensive book description so that it brings up regults when people do a subject search.  I have started paid advertising on some of the book sellers, but that is new. I do not know the results yet.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out? 

I just finished a novel called Joseph: The Other Father.  It is book 5 in my series, Intrepid Men of God. My other books were on the Good Samaritan, Paul, Luke, and Mefiboset.

Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it. 

My next book will be Job: Arabian Sheik.  I am researching Uz, which was in Edom at the time, along with his friends and where they were from, and the disease Job had.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent? 

Read a couple books about writing, then start writing. You learn mostly by doing. Just write, write, write.

***

Bio of Katheryn Haddad


Katheryn Haddad was born in the cold north, but now lives in Arizona where she does not have to shovel sunshine. She enjoys hot weather, palm trees and cacti in her yard, and a computer with the letters worn off.

With a bachelor's degree in English, Bible and social science from Harding University and part of a master's degree in Bible, including Greek, from the Harding Graduate School of Theology, she also has a master's degree in management and human relations from Abilene University. 

Her newspaper column appeared for several years in newspapers in Texas and North Carolina ~ Little Known Facts About the Bible ~ and she has written for numerous Christian publications. 

For 20 years, she was a genealogist, and traced her family back to the early 1600s in England, Wales, Germany and France.

Currently she teaches English over the internet every morning, using the Bible as a text book. Most of her students are Muslims. She has taught some 6000 thus far, and has former students, now Christians, in hiding in Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Yemen, Somalia, Jordan, Uzbekistan, and Palestine. "They are my heroes" she declares.

She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers, Christian Writers of the West, and is also an energetic public speaker who can touch the heart of audiences.

***

Learn more:


Author Website 
Facebook 
Pinterest 
Monthly Newsletter 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.