Monday, December 16, 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Allen Smith

Our next author interview!

Find out the special place that Allen likes to write and why meditation is so important to him.


Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?


I have been writing for many years, since my early High School years. I started out writing church newsletters. That developed into writing articles for denominational magazines. In 1996, I started publishing a small Southern Gospel Music magazine. I, of course, wrote many of the articles for it. That magazine grew into a national publication. I am no longer with it, although they still list me as the founder. A few months ago, I purchased a Kindle Touch. Right away, a realized that was the medium I had always been looking for. From my years of ministry, I have a lot of material and notes on file. I felt it was time to start sharing what God had placed on my heart, with others.

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?

I write in my living room, sitting in my favorite easy chair. I have a computer lap table, that I use to support my laptop while I work. I like to put SBN Television network on while I work. They play a lot of great Gospel music, and I like to listen to it while I work.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

I like to sit and meditate on the Word of God when I write. That is where I get all of my inspiration. My least favorite part is typing. I used to be able to type about 80 words a minute. I now have a severe case of neuropathy. Because of that, I can no longer feel the keys on the keyboard. So I now type with just a few fingers as I watch the keys.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I am pretty new at this, and I am still learning, as well as gradually putting it all together. So far, I have my own website. I have an author page for my books. I have a blog for my books. I have a Twitter account. I have joined Goodreads, and I am listed as an author with them. I have joined many author blogs. I have just started reaching out for interviews. I use everything Amazon offers, including their Author Page and KDP. I am constantly studying, to find more things to do, so that I can slowly implement them. I also have a Pinterest account. I have located many websites and blogs that will promote my books for free. I do not yet have the funds to pay for marketing.

How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I write virtually every day. It is usually done late at night and early in the morning.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?
 
Purchase The Sacrifice

 
I just finished writing a book titled “The Sacrifice – The Only Way To God”. It is about God’s plan of Salvation starting in Genesis and going all the way through the Bible. My next project is to take my second book, “One Day At A Time”, and reformat it for CreateSpace, and publish it in paperback. It is a daily devotional for each day of the year. My wife is also translating it into Portuguese, so it can be published in Brazil. My wife Susan was raised in Brazil as a missionary's daughter, and also did missionary work herself...

Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

My next writing project, which does not have a title yet, will be about the 12 Apostles. It will cover where they ministered, as well as how they died. I have already started researching this subject.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

Research, study, and try it. You don’t know what you can do until you try.
 
 
 
 ***
Thank you Allen! Learn more about Allen here:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allensmithbooks
Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Smith/e/B00DE2FLU0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.