Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's Eve: Writing Prompts

It's been awhile since I've posted a few of my favorite writing prompts. And because it's New Year's Eve tonight, I wanted to share a few with you that I find especially helpful for the new year.

1. Write down your goals for the year, and then, using one of the goals as a writing prompt, write a short story or first book chapter based on the idea as if you've already accomplished it.

2. What have you done in the past year that has been great when it's comes to writing? Have you taken a new writing class, attended a conference, written and published your first book? Make a list and then choose your favorite experience. Write a poem.

3. Having a big party tonight at your place? Going out? Either way, pay special attention to the people you're around, you may just come up with the mustard seed of a new character. I like to keep a small notebook in my purse for just such occasions. I rarely remember what I thought at the moment if I don't write the experience down.

4. Spending time with your kids? Write a book together. When I speak at elementary schools in a class setting, I often speak about characters, setting, plot, etc. to the children and then help them develop their own book (stapled together).

5. Sitting in front of the television or reading a good book? Sometimes, just being by yourself is the best answer to an otherwise raucous night. Have some fun by beginning your new book or short story for the new year. One of my favorite ideas is turning to a random page in any book and starting with that sentence in my new work.

Whatever you do this New Year's Eve, I want to wish you a happy one!

I'm hoping for great things in 2014!

BOOK RELEASE: JANUARY 15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.