Wednesday, December 18, 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: D.R. Shoultz

My newest author interview is with fiction writer, D.R. Shoultz.
 
Tell me a about yourself.  What got you started in writing?

I grew up in a small town in central Illinois.  I was a decent student, a better athlete, and an average son. I was the first in my family to go to college, but had no real aspirations at the time. It was just something I needed to do.  I graduated in 1976 with a BS in education and an MS in mathematics and was hired by an international I/T firm to sell computer systems.
 
 
After a rewarding 31-year sales management career and a wonderful 33 years with my wife, I found myself retired and widowed at age 55.  The silence was painful. To fill my time, I volunteered, traveled, and even tried going back to work for a while, but I had always wanted to write, so I gave it a try.  My interest in fiction composition doesn’t stem from my formal education, but rather is inspired by my life experiences, creative desire, and over-active imagination.   

I was fortunate to meet Claudia, a former journalist and editor, about the time I began writing.  She shared her editorial skills to help shape and tune my novels.  It was a relationship that worked well -- so well, we married in the spring of 2012.  But even with Claudia’s assistance, I ended up throwing away my first attempt at a novel.  I’ve since authored and self-published three books: CORRUPT CONNECTION, BETTER LATE THAN EVER, and my latest, MELTING SAND – A Miles Stevens Novel.   I’ve found it takes me about a year to write, edit, and publish each book.  It’s a pace that I enjoy and that I plan to continue. 
 


How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?

I’m fortunate to be able write whenever and wherever I please, but I tend to write in the early morning and late at night.  It’s not unusual for me to get an idea as I’m about to fall asleep and get up to capture in on the computer.  The next thing I know the sun is rising.  I’ve been around computers my whole life and am rarely without a laptop or a tablet nearby.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

I love the creative part of writing.  My stories tend to evolve rather than having a formal structure before I begin.  I like being able to turn and tweak the stories and the characters as I write.   I don’t like the editing, but I have learned it’s better to over-edit than to under-edit.

How do you come up with your characters? Why would readers want to get to know them?

My characters are parts of me and people I’ve met.  I try not to parallel anyone’s personality or life so closely it becomes obvious to anyone that would know them.  My three novels all have three common elements: a leading male character who is virile yet vulnerable, a strong-minded female character that becomes the partner and/or love interest of the leading man, and a cloak of danger that surrounds them both.  I hope the readers want to get to know Miles Stevens, a time traveling CIA agent from my current novel, because he will continue with the series.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I do all the typical marketing activities, but not sure I do any of them well.  I have submitted and published press releases in local papers, participated in book signings, created a blog, and I’m active on Facebook, Twitter, and goodreads.

How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

As I stated earlier, I write mainly in the morning and late at night, but also whenever the mood strikes me.  My writing competes mainly with my travel schedule.  My wife and I share four children, five grandchildren and our parents – all spread coast to coast.   We also like to get away on our own occasionally, but even when I travel, my laptop comes along.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

MELTING SAND – A Miles Steven Novel was published October 2013.  It’s a CIA time travel, action/adventure novel, and it’s the first in a series featuring Miles Stevens, CIA agent, who’s sent back in time from the year 2050 to alter tragic worldwide events.  In MELTING SAND, Miles connects with Terri King, and they attempt to avert a chain of events leading to a Middle East nuclear war that’s set to erupt in 2027. 

Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I have begun the next novel in the Miles Stevens series, and plan to have it completed by this time next year.  Miles will be taking on a planned cyber-attack capable of crippling the U.S. financial systems and infrastructure and spreading death and chaos to American cities. 

I’ve also been focusing time writing short stories, as well as posting author interviews and book reviews to my blog, “A Place for Readers and Writers.”  I plan to eventually publish a collection of my short stories.  Until then, I post one story each month for free reading on my blog,   http://DRShoultz.blogspot.com   

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

I’ve found the most import part of writing is enjoying it.  If you have the desire, you will eventually develop the ability.  The more you read and write, better your writing will become.  Most writers list financial success as third or fourth on their lists of reasons on why they write.  The same is true of me. My top reason is I enjoy doing it.
You can learn more about D.R. Shoultz and his writing at the following sites:





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.