Friday, August 10, 2012

Reading on a Kindle

I used to think reading on a Kindle was sort of like transporting yourself into the future. All the hard copies of books are gone and all that's left is electronic devices (kind of like Star Trek). Reading this way was as foreign to me, almost as foreign as an alien landing on the planet and speaking to me.What would I say to an alien if I saw one?


 

Photo by: Contentment Sikher, courtesy of Flickr




Fortunately, I know what to say about the Kindle. It doesn't smell special, like those new books with their new ink, or even musty, like those old books with their brittle, yellowing pages that you just can't seem to get rid of. They are flat and substandard when it comes to flipping the pages (sometimes I push the arrow too many times) and with the Kindle, it's hard to highlight.

Yes, I know you can do that, but not by hand.

Reading on a Kindle is not my cup of tea but I have to say that it didn't bother me half as much as I thought it would. I remember the first time I used a microwave, a computer, a cell phone, and how awkward it all was. Now I can only say that I need to gear up to the Smartphone. I call mine a "dumb phone" because it's one of those flip open jobbies with actual buttons to push...

At any rate, my first book, read on a Kindle, is: "Trust Your Heart: Transform Your Ideas..." There's more to the subtitle but I don't want to lose my place and I don't know where to regain it when I do. Yes, I have LOTS to learn.

But I tell you what. I like the idea that I was able to get this book FREE and my husband (bless his heart) knew how to download (or is it upload) it onto the Kindle for me. Now all I do is turn the Kindle on, and wa-la! it's there. I'm also thinking of taking the Kindle with me on my flight to Texas soon. It might be nice to finish the book in flight.

Suffice it to say I'm still learning a lot about the Kindle including what all the buttons are for that I see below the silver screen. Nope, I'm not going to push them.

Until next time...

Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.