Monday, August 12, 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Mark Messick

Need some assistance with marketing? Then you'll want to read on:
Mark Messick has also dabbled in short story writing
(see end of interview).

~ Tell me about yourself. What got you started in writing?

Well, I've always liked to read (ever since the 2nd grade, at least) and at the age of 9 or 10 I just natuarallly started writing my first book. I've been writing ever since.

~ How and where do you write? Do you prefer a laptop or do you prefer writing freehand?

I really prefer writing at a desk in a quiet room with a big window and lots of books. And I definitely prefer a laptop.

~ What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

I have two favorite parts of the writing process. A) when I first get the idea for a book and B) when I finish the book.

My least favorite part of the writing process is the editing phase. I really don't care for editing that much, even though it is quite necessary to the success of a book.

~ How do you come up with your characters? Why would readers want to get to know them?

Well, I mostly write in the “Advice & How-To” niche, so I don't have to bother with creating characters that often.

~ What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

There are four main marketing techniques that I believe are extremely effective:
 
1)      Having A Clickable Title

2)     Having An Amazing Cover

3)     Having An HTML Formatted Book Description

4)     Keyword research
 
 
Each one of these things have been extremely helpful to me and I wouldn't trade my knowledge of them for the world.
 
 
Unfortunately, some of them are quite complex, so I can't discuss how to do all of them here. However, I have written a book that covers a couple of them. It's titled Secrets To Selling Ebooks On Amazon: How To Sell More Kindle Ebooks On Amazon Using HTML, SEO & Copywriting Techniques In Your Book Description. If you're interested, you can learn more about the book here: http://amzn.to/17TGbRK

~ How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I write as often as possible but I have found that I'm most productive from 4 to 6 in the afternoon/evening. So, I try to write during that time nearly every day.

~ What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?
 

A couple of weeks ago I published Secrets To Selling Ebooks On Amazon and I'm currently editing a new book, which I have decided to title: Write Better, Write Faster, Write Freely: How To Write A Nonfiction Ebook In Just 24 Days

I'm planning on releasing it in the next week or two, so it shouldn't be too long until it's available for purchase.

~ Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I'm currently working on what I call the “Secrets To Selling Ebooks On Amazon Series”. The writing book is the first in the series and the HTML book is the fourth. (Yes, I am writing it out of order, I know.) I have planned 9 books in this series so I'm planning on just writing a new book in the series every month or so for the next 7 months.

I also have a ton of other ideas but until I finish this series I'm not going to focus on any of them.

~ What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

Dang, I wish my writing book was already out there. That book would be perfect, perfect, for somebody struggling with this question.

But, since it's not already published I guess we'll just have to make do.

I firmly believe that nearly anyone has the ability to write a book, even if they don't yet know it. Maybe not a fiction book (I've tried) but definitely a nonfiction book. Nonfiction is really easy to write, especially when the book is about something you know and care about.

I suggest that you just come up with a topic that  you are both knowledgeable and passionate about and start banging it out on a keyboard. Don't worry if it sounds all funky. The important thing is to get it out there as fast as humanly possible and then clean everything up afterwards.
 
Some great advice, Mark! Thanks for coming in for an interview, and I wish you success in your endeavors!
 
 
To learn more about Mark:
 
~ Kindle Publishing Help Site: http://bit.ly/ZHwgZF 
~ Kindle Publishing Help Newsletter Signup Form: http://bit.ly/13HDxah 
~ Secrets To Selling Ebooks On Amazon: http://amzn.to/17TGbRK 
~ Ebook Publishing Secrets: http://bit.ly/17ktprK 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.