Wednesday, March 18, 2015

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Jack Barr, author of Failing at Fatherhood

Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I started writing newsletters and blogging after we moved to Bangkok, Thailand.  When Marley was born, I stared journaling about my experiences and that led to my first book.

Get the Book at Amazon
How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?

I like writing in my office on my laptop.  It is a quiet place that permits me to engage my emotions as I write.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

My favorite part about writing is sharing my story.  I believe personal stories can be extremely powerful and beneficial for other people.  My least favorite part of writing is editing.  Regardless of how many editors proof read my work, there are always still grammatical mistakes.

How do you come up with your characters? Why would readers want to get to know them?

My story is about my personal journey of accepting my daughter and her disability. The characters are my family and friends.  It was difficult writing about personal matters, but I believe it made the story more captivating.


What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

Social Media, Give Always, Interviews, Hired Promoter

How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I wrote during my free time at work and at home.  It was difficult to start writing, and then have to leave it because of other commitments.  Writing would have been more enjoyable if I could have taken a significant amount of time from work to only write.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

My current book was just released in November.  Currently I am writing for My Big Jesus http://www.mybigjesus.com/ and promoting my book.

Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I am considering a few different book possibilities for next year.  A book about my experiences working overseas or society’s view of disabilities.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

Just write to serve others.  Don’t write to make a profit.  Write with the belief that your words can change a life.  That is what I did when writing my book.  Numerous families helped me when I was struggling and I wrote with the same determination to help other families.  I wanted fathers to read my book and be encouraged by my story of redemption.

***

Thank you, Jack!

Jack and Jana Barr are missionaries in Bangkok, Thailand.  Before their first date, they both knew God was calling them to serve overseas.  After completing their undergraduate degrees at Johnson University, and their graduate degrees (Jack M.Ed. Regent University, M.Sc. Canisius College/ Jana M.A. Lee University) they flew to Bangkok for the first time.  For the past nine years they have served God by teaching at the International Community School in Bangkok, Thailand.  



If They Had a Voice Video http://www.iftheyhadavoice.org/

A Special Share of My Book: https://jackbarrauthor.wordpress.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.