Wednesday, March 11, 2015

CHARACTER INTERVIEW: Susan from Scrambled

Oh, you'll never believe the things I will do!

Today, I'd like to introduce you to Susan Cramer. She's the main character in my first cozy mystery, Scrambled.

Tell me a little about yourself (where you live, who you are, what you look like, what you hope to achieve, etc.)

My name is Susan Cramer and I've just left my husband for a better life. My husband and I had been struggling to have a child, and my days were spent working retail while he sat at home. Let's just say I hoped for a better life. I live on the east coast, and hoped by moving in to the old hotel and starting my life again as a maid, at least I'd be able to save enough money to go on vacation. But something terrible happened and I'm afraid I won't be leaving here either for awhile. 

What do you like to do in your spare time?

What spare time? I hate to complain but I'm either cleaning or trying to solve the mystery. I guess I need to tell you, there's a man named John at the hotel who really wants to date me. What would he say if I told him I was still married?

What is your favorite color and why?

Probably yellow. I say, probably, because eggs are my favorite food (check out the answer to question 4) and because I also like other colors equally well depending on my mood.

What is your favorite food? Why is it your favorite?

My favorite food is eggs. I use them as my quick pick me up whenever I am stressed or feeling down. I burn them, too. Sorry, but it's just part of my personality.

What would you say is your biggest quirk?

Cooking eggs when I'm stressed :) I also think that most folks don't change their name or pretend to be a detective when they're really not. 

What is it about your antagonist that irks you the most, and why? Share a line in the book where this irk is manifested.

I wish I just had one antagonist. There's the guy who is trying to date me, and then there's the creepy guy upstairs named Mr Humphrey and the other one named Mr. Davis, with the wandering eyes. And then, of course, there's the sweet and not so sweet Mrs. Martha Boaz. And we can't forget Childs, the owner of the old hotel, who starts all of the trouble.

What or who means the most to you in your life? What, if anything, would you do to keep him/her/it in your life?

That would have to be Brianne and Oscar, the two children who live across the street from the Hotel Camaro. Though I have just met them, there seems to be a small connection that I want to grow. Sure, Martha is a friend, sometimes, but she's too up and down for me to really consider her a full-time buddy. 

What one thing would you like readers to know about you that may not be spelled out in the book in which you inhabit?

I am hurting. Sure, I put out a fairly tough exterior, but I really want to be happy. I'm saving my money for a vacation, and I hope one day to find a good man who loves me for who I am and who wants to work with me in growing our relationship. My husband, Bob, never seemed able to do that.

If you could tell your writer (creator) anything about yourself that might turn the direction of the plot, what would it be?

Sometimes I just want to sleep in. Forget the detective work for awhile. It would be nice to just cook up some eggs when I'm not stressed, or be alone for a bit, without someone banging on the door who needs me.

Ask me any question. I've always wanted to know what a character thinks about writers like myself. I'll answer the question at the end of this interview.

Why did you write Scrambled?

Great question (he, he). I have always been a Nancy Drew mysteries fan, and the day came when I was asked to write a story in college using five particular words. I should have kept the words (they would have been fun to re-read) but as turned out, Chapter 1 of Scrambled was born. This same chapter would later win a $500 award from the Mystery Writers of America

***
Thank you, Susan!

Learn more about Susan and Kathryn Jones at this site!


Find Scrambled here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.