Tuesday, March 24, 2015

TUESDAY TRICKS: Five Things You Can Do To Get Writing this Morning


If you're considering taking a day off, it may be the best thing for you. RN R is usually a good way to get new ideas flowing, and get the heavy block off your back. But what if one day has turned into two and two into three, and you're not even on vacation?

I don't know about you, but I sometimes find myself scrambling for something to write about. My book, well, I just can't figure out what to write next. That story? It's as stalled as a car out of gas. I've been thinking about taking the day off, you know, to get ideas coming again.

Should I?

When I'm in one of these moods is usually because I'm feeling overwhelmed in my life; there's just too much going and I can't even consider sitting down and spending time writing. Either that, or I'm stressed about something else I have to do that's been weighing on my mind for days.

Here's what I do when faced with the 'I just don't want to write today' problem.

Sometimes I sit back and do nothing. :) Let's be honest here, I sometimes don't do as I should. But after a few moments of moping I gather up my courage and face the computer. The dishes will just have to wait.

1. I may start a new project. It may be one of those projects that has been weighing on my mind for awhile; a project I just don't think I have the time for. I have one of those of my own - right now. It always seems to get shelved for more pressing work, when, in actuality, this work needs to be at the top of my list because of the time and attention it demands.

2. I may read my latest project out loud. There is something to be said for reading out loud. Yes, you find mistakes, but the sound of your voice often prompts further writing.

3. Sit outside. If it's a nice enough day where you live sit outside for awhile, pen and paper in hand, and see what comes to you. A change of scenery often works for me. If it's too cold where you are, try a different room, but don't use a computer to get your thoughts down. See what happens.

4. Find a book, any book, and point to a random page. What sentence is your finger on? Start with this sentence and see what comes to you.

5. I've spoken of this last idea before, but it bears repeating. Organize a binder of pictures from magazines, pictures that are interesting in some way. Perhaps the interest is in the colors used, or the slogan, or the people within the photo. Once organized, choose a random picture to write about. Pay special attention to your five senses and see what happens.

Enjoy!

Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.