Wednesday, June 17, 2015

When in Doubt...Don't: When you shouldn't take a writing job

There are so many opportunities to write - so many, I'm afraid, that often I have to pinch myself.

That being said, I have learned to weed out those writing jobs that only suck the life out of me. You know the ones. Those that will pay you $5 for 500 words of material. Those that suggest a great writer should make $30 for a 2,000 word piece.



Yes, I am constantly looking for side writing jobs, and I have to say that most of them are simply asking me to share my blood, sweat and tears for a little pocket change. And I'm talking 'a little' pocket change.

The above two examples occurred just this past month. I thought I might have something good going in both scenarios, but frankly, had to let both jobs go and wait for better ones to come along.

They always do, though I may have to wait.

They say patience is a virtue, and I'm counting on it.


1 comment:

  1. I agree, I stopped writing my weekly column for a local newspaper that I had written for free for 6.5 years. Good experience but I have other things I want to write about...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.