Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Let the Hermit Rat Go!

I'm always amazed at how people look at writers. I have been through the "Why don't you get a real job?" comments, the "I have a hobby, too," comments, even the "Do you ever think you'll make any 'real money'" comments.

I understand these feelings because I haven't just received them from others, I have given them to myself.

I still remember the day a little over a year ago when I finally decided to take my writing career to the next level. This is after publishing part-time for over 25 years. After searching for a writing job with no results other than fine opportunities to meet great people, I became convinced that the reason I was not finding the writing job of my dreams is because my writing dream was not out there--it was in here. In my heart, and in my home.

The day I discovered this secret my husband and I were sitting across from each other at lunch. He said, "Why don't you go out on your own? Start your own business?"
My grandson sees his potential

I remember telling my husband that he was crazy, and besides, I was too scared to do it on my own.

What I realize now is that fear is an important factor in starting something new and scary. Fear can be conquered or it can live in you like a great hermit rat. I chose to let the rat go, and climbed out on a limb. I moved my writing life forward to entrepreneurship.

I decided that with my skills and desires to help other writers that I could start my own business. I am still in the beginning stages of this business, gathering new clients and opportunities as the days pass.

And I am happy.

I have created a writing career that suits me instead of a mold I must conform to. And I continue to do what I do best.

Write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.