Wednesday, March 5, 2014

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Laura Hedgecock

LAURA WILL BE AT THE WRITE HERE IN EPHRAIM CONFERENCE COMING UP THE END OF MARCH! CHECK THIS SITE FOR DETAILS!

Find out what Laura believes makes the best characters and what she's dreaming about when it comes to fiction.

Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I was raised in South Carolina but came to live in Michigan by way of Chicago and Germany. When I’m not writing, I enjoy spending time with my husband and our two soon-to-be-adult sons (and our Springer Spaniel), playing soccer, nature photography, and finding my roots.



For me, writing was an avocation long before it became a vocation. My interests in genealogy and photography evolved into a passion for helping others tell their stories—and telling my own. I became serious about writing as Lyme disease left me unable to go back to the corporate business world. My grandmother, who wrote in secret all her life, has proved to be a great source of inspiration. Unlike my grandmother, though, I believe in sharing.  

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?

I write whenever an idea pops in my head. My preference would be for that to happen when my laptop is open and ready, but that’s not always the case. When I do write in long hand I usually transcribe it onto a digital file while I can still decipher what I wrote.  

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

The creative part is my favorite part. I love having an idea and crafting the words to make it come alive to others. My least favorite part was writing a book proposal.

How do you come up with your characters? Why would readers want to get to know them?

So far, I've kept my fiction to myself. (My book and blog are non-fiction.) I’m not sure I could articulate where the characters come from—they just materialize. Some are much like someone I know (or knew); others are new to me. None of them is perfect—or too close to perfect.

I think readers like characters they could imagine knowing. They feel a connection via the character’s flaws and humor.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

My marketing to date has been primarily content driven, i.e. trying to provide and curate content that will connect me with my target readers. I also use Help A Reporter Out (HARO) to gain exposure. I’m one of the few authors that enjoy Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Google+, Good Reads and Linked In. (Notice the links? J) I like connecting with others and building relationships.

How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

That’s an area I need to work on. I maintain a blogging schedule, but I have problems carving out time for new projects. There’s not a particular time of day that works best for me, but mid- to late afternoons are the worst.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?



Memories of Me: A Complete Guide to Telling and Sharing the Stories of your Life comes out May 13, 2014. As the title implies, it’s a guide to preserving episodic memories and stories. As a recipient of such a legacy of memories, I’m passionate about the topic. Memories of Me coaches readers through choosing which memories and stories they want to write about and deciding how they would like to share them with loved ones.

Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I have young adult fantasy project on the back burner. It’s about a group of kids attending an elite international academy on scholarships—kind of like a Hogwarts for Hunger Games kids. Away from home, they find themselves advocating for their individual heritages.The plot line continues to develop; the kids keep going off-script.

 ***

Thank you Laura!

Learn more about Laura here: 

Website
Facebook
Google+
Twitter
Pinterest
Linked In
Amazon Author Page
Good Reads
RSS
Amazon Buy Link
B & N Buy link
About Memories of Me (the book)
About Me on website






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.