Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Books Make Great Gifts

Okay, you've more than likely heard that one before. 

Some of my fondest memories take me back to those times in my childhood when reading a good book was about as fun as eating a piece of chocolate cake. 


I'm not kidding.

How else can you transport to the Land of Oz without leaving your living room couch? What else but a book can teach you how to train your cat, eat simply, travel to Mars, or teach you how to take a breather from a busy holiday season?

I love books. I have always loved books. Even when I couldn't read books I loved them. My mom tells me I would crawl to the bookshelf for what I wanted and crawl back with the next book I wanted to 'read'.

Now that I'm a writer, I have a greater reason to read. I learn a lot from other writers, though sometimes I have to turn off my writer brain in favor of just enjoying the story - ask any prolific writer and they'll tell you - it's difficult to read a book without correcting everything.

Still, with my writer brain shut off for a time, I can truly enjoy reading. And I'm happy to get books from others too. [hint hint].

Photo by Mel Poole on Unsplash

Just today I looked in the wrong drawer and saw one of my Christmas presents, yet unwrapped. Yes, it was a book, a book I wanted. Now before you get all huffy about me snooping where I shouldn't, I also need to tell you that I picked out the book. My husband picked out another for him. It's already wrapped. :)

I don't remember a year of my life when I haven't received a book for Christmas. When I was a teen, I began the Nancy Drew Mystery series and continued to receive the books for a few years for Christmas and birthdays. I love coffee table books, books of inspiration, and yes, even books that take me on a mystery chase. I love books of fantasy and science fiction, books that make me weep, stories that fill my soul with hope.

They say a writer writes what they read, what they hope for, what changes they would like to see in the world or in themselves. In writing, as well as in reading, we get a glimpse of the world as it is, and how we wish it to be.

Here's wishing you the dreams you hope for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.