Friday, December 31, 2021

Is _________ Stopping You From Writing?

What word would you put in the blank?

Fear?

Photo by Jaqueline Fritz on Unsplash

Doubt?

Photo by Georgia Mashford on Unsplash

Work?

Photo by STIL on Unsplash

Time?

Photo by Aron Visuals on Unsplash

Skills?

Photo by Hello I'm Nik on Unsplash

Something I haven't mentioned?

When I began writing many years ago, I knew I wanted to write, but I didn't have the skills I believed I needed to pull it off. And I was 'write'. 

I knew nothing about developing a character, creating a scene, putting together 'believable' dialogue, getting my book published, marketing my book after it was published, or anything really. I just knew I needed to write.

My first short story was terrible. I still have it. The story reminds me of how far I've come. What I know is that not only did I begin on my writing journey, I've kept up with it since I was in my early 20s; I'm now 60. 

Am I perfect at what I do? No. Am I selling millions of copies each month? No. 

But I am a better writer, much better than when I began.

A relative of mine wants to write a book but he hasn't done it yet. Why? There are other things he'd rather be doing, I guess. And that's fine. But for the last few years, those 'other things' have been keeping him from doing what is still in his mind to do.

Tomorrow we begin a new year. And with a new year comes new goals and possibly a new direction for you. What will you do?

Will you write your first book?

Will you continue on to book two?

Photo by Alysha Rosly on Unsplash




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.