Tuesday, September 25, 2012

What's the Hardest Part of Being a Writer?

What's the hardest part of being a writer?

I sometimes struggle with others taking my writing seriously. But when I finally stopped searching for a "job" and began my own company I think the realization hit many that what I really wanted to do was work for myself.


Photo by lett -^=, courtesy of Flickr
Sometimes I have a hard time getting to work. Because I'm at home and the house is screaming to be cleaned or the grandchildren are screaming to have some time or I'm screaming for a break, I have a difficult time focusing on the job at hand.

Writing isn't always fun. Really? Writing is work and sometimes the writing itself is a struggle. But when this happens, I pull out another writing project or spend a few moments working on a writing prompt.

Sometimes it's hard waiting for the money to come in. I don't get a regular paycheck, and sometimes I get a little stressed about that, but the stressing comes less now as my focus has changed to more important things like sharing and helping others with their own writing.


Photo by: noricum, courtesy of Flickr

Sometimes I have too many projects and so can't focus on the most important one at hand. I get ideas often, but that doesn't mean I can do everything at the same time. Many projects are put on the back burner until the finishing up of a particular project leaves room for a new one.

The hardest part of being a writer, for me, shifts every day and depends on my mood. But I don't let a day go by without writing something.

Because I need to write.

What the hardest part of being a writer, for you? Share your thoughts.



2 comments:

  1. Marketing, by far, takes more time than writing the book, but I think the process can be eased.

    I have a goal set that I will have one piece of marketing per week online. That means either it's a review, an interview, a guest blog or something else. That means every day I work for at least a half an hour on book marketing.

    I have just learned somewhere that guest blogs are one of the best things you can do to promote your work and a way to increase your blog readership.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.