Monday, September 10, 2012

Are You a Writer? Getting Paid What You're Worth

There's been a lot of talk lately about getting paid what your worth--at least in the circles that I am a part of. And I guess this has a lot to do with the economy.

If we don't have a current job, we're searching for any job that will work.
If we do have a job, we're hoping for better. Always hoping for better.

A few of us do what we truly love, and if it's writing, we find that we love what we do (we'd better) while still dreaming of the big bucks to make it all worth it.

The funny thing about writing is, in my opinion, that it is all worth it, yes, even when we're not bringing in the bucks we think we're worth.

Photo by: MSVG, courtesy of Flickr
Getting paid what you're worth is kind of like finding a needle in a haystack--you know it's there, but the task in finding that needle makes your eyes sore and your knees weak.

And perhaps that's where we need to get. On our knees.

I am always happiest when I'm not thinking about the money I "should" be making but using my gifts and talents. When I am listening to God. When I care more about his agenda for me and less on the agenda I'd like to create for myself. And this takes a bit of daring. It's not easy to give up the control we think we have.

My husband recently got a new job and this was after much soul searching, waiting, and enjoying the life that was currently present for us. Getting that job was as much about being appreciative for what we had then as it was opening up the mind for greater things.

As a writer I don't have to be the mainstream income provider, but there are things I do to pitch in. And I find I am pitching in the best when I am more focused on creation and reaching out to others, more than I am on how much money I expect to get from my efforts.

It's always been that way for me.

2 comments:

  1. It's wonderful to be retired and not having to worry about working just enjoying these golden? years. I try to focus on the joy of writing and sharing my ideas with others. I write a column for free for the Sr. Sampler locally called Looking Back... No pay but lots of compliments from readers and info for my books. See ya soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lin! I'm getting excited for the upcoming conference for The League of Utah Writers. Thanks for asking us to join you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.