Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Taking Your Time as a Writer

I don't know about you but this new book I've been writing I want to sell--yesterday. I'm excited because I feel as if I've got some pretty good stuff to share.

The problem?

I am not finished with the book and I haven't had anyone read over it yet!

Years ago I thought my first serious piece of writing EVER WRITTEN would sell.

What?

That's right. I thought that all I had to do was put pen to paper, type the story out and it would sell.  Unfortunately, it took 8 long years before I made my first sale and I was writing almost daily!

If you're a beginning writing this revelation may discourage you. You may wonder if all the years of practicing is worth the wait.



Photo by: chocolate-dessert-recipes.com, courtesy of Flickr
It is.

Taking your time as a writer is a bit like waiting for the chocolate cake to come out of the oven. You begin by getting out all of the ingredients. Mixing up the batter. Putting the batter in the pan. Cooking it at the correct temperature. Getting the cake out when the buzzer dings and letting the cake cool. After the cake cools you frost it and then maybe you don't eat it right away because you're waiting for the party to start.

Sure, a cake isn't going to bake for years but you're still going to have to go through the steps. Missing a step is like forgetting to turn on the oven or trying to frost the cake while it's still warm.

Believe me, I know.

I like learning from other writers and I still do. And in order to learn one must be open to feedback of every kind, not all of it desired.

Photo by: chocolate-dessert-recipes.com, courtesy of Flickr
In the long run, it's going to be a long run so be prepared to learn all you can.



1 comment:

Thank you for your comment.