Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Sabbath Day


DECEMBER 29
The Sabbath Day

The Sabbath Day “is a day appointed unto you to rest from your labors, and to pay thy devotions unto the Most High,” says the Lord in a revelation to Joseph Smith (See D&C 59:10).
Photo by Zoovroo, Courtesy of Flickr
In this simple yet profound scripture, we learn two things: First that the Sabbath Day is a day of rest from our usual labors. And second, that the Sabbath is a day of devotion to the Most High God.

I don’t know about you, but this command is a difficult one for me. It is hard enough to get to church without yelling, screaming kids. Of course, mine are older now, but we still have a problem of getting out the door without the hair being fixed just right and the makeup being put on.

Rest? On the Sabbath?

I have make jokes about Sunday being a day of rest for many years. This day is often busier than the other days of the week for me because there isn’t just church to attend, but lessons to prepare and give, other meetings to attend, a dinner to fix, activities to provide so that my children have something to do. The list could go on and on…and does.

But wait! Am I missing something? The heart of the Sabbath day? The reason why we have it in the first place?
Photo by Dee Q8, Courtesy of Flickr

I really believe excuses limit us from moving forward, even though I am expert at making them. With each excuse comes an opportunity for standing still. Of course, some would say that no one stays completely still all of the time.

“If you’re not moving forward, you’re moving backward,” and I tend to believe that too. Why else would we still be talking about shutting the television off on Sunday while we’re yet transfixed to its glowing face?

These days however, I’m finding it easier to live the Sabbath even though I know I don’t as yet live it as completely as I’d like to.

Journaling in the morning helps, especially when there is so much to do and so many directions to travel. Studying the lessons for church, if I haven’t done so during the week, helps me to focus on what will be taught at church; playing church music or a Sunday movie in the morning before the children even get up, reminds them and me of the importance of the Sabbath Day, and makes it that much easier to leave the rest of the world outside.

What does the Sabbath Day mean to you? Make a journal entry.





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.